Monday, September 1, 2014

Book Corner: End of Summer Suggestions

You say "SUMMER," I say "BOOKS." 


That's one of my summer cheers. Why? Because one of my favorite things about summer is being able to read whatever I want.

You: But, Haley, you just graduated with an English degree. Aren't you tired of reading? 
Me: Of course not! I rarely tire of reading. I do, however, tire of reading what I'm told, even if they're good books. Maybe it's the rebel in me. 

While summer is officially over and while I will spend my next few months reading mostly books for class, that doesn't mean you can't read a book just for the fun times (or to stave off your equivalent to the Quarter Life Crisis for a few more days).

So, in no particular order, here are a few of my favorite books I read this summer:

 The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon


This book, guys. This. Book. I love it.

When his father takes him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, Daniel Sempere becomes the owner of one of the last remaining copies of The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax. When Daniel discovers that someone is hunting down all of Carax's novels and burning them, he begins to unravel one of Barcelona's greatest stories.

Read this novel for crime, mysteries, love stories, and sentences so beautiful they will blind you (in a good way). It's one of my current favorite books.

Love and Ghost Letters by Chantel Acevedo 


Shout out to Chantel Acevedo for being a writing rock star!

I love this novel. I mean, I love all of novels--let's be real--but I really do love this one. I read it immediately after reading The Shadow of the Wind, which was a great transition because they have a slightly similar feel to them. This book is a love story, though perhaps not the kind you would expect.

The novel takes place in Cuba and Miami and tells the stories of Josefina and her father, the Sergeant. When Josefina leaves her father for Lorenzo, her father disowns her, and she falls into misfortune. Though she wishes her father dead, she is distraught when she learns that her father most likely died in a riot. When she begins receiving ghost letters from her father, though, her outlook on life begins to change.

Kindred by Octavia Butler


If you're about my age, you might remember reading The Devil's Arithmetic in middle school. Kindred has a similar premise. Somehow, Dana unwillingly travels back in time to the pre-Civil War South, where she immediately saves one of her ancestors--a white boy and future slave owner. Every time the boy calls her back to the past, she must pretend to be a slave longer. Dana struggles with how she can change the views of those around her as well how she will return to her normal life.

One of my professors recommended this novel, so I knew it would be good. It didn't disappoint. This is a thought-provoking read that can be difficult emotionally at times, but it's definitely worth it.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


A WWII British plane goes down in France with Maddie, the pilot, and Verity, a spy, inside. Verity escapes in a parachute but is almost immediately captured by the Gestapo. In order to avoid execution, she must expose her mission in a written confession. Her confession, however, becomes a novel of its own, as it tells not only British secrets, but also how she and Maddie became friends and how the war shaped them.

I'm not often surprised by books, but this book took me off guard. As I read, my heart pounded, hoping that Verity's confession would save her. Code Name Verity is a book of truth and secrets and twists, and it is absolutely fantastic. 

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


They are the Sinclairs, and they live charmed lives. They find true love. They spend their summers on a private island. Everything is always as it should be. At least, people are inclined to think that way, until the accident--the accident that Cadence can't remember, the accident wrapped in secrets and lies.

Yes, I know that's vague. Trust me, you don't want spoilers.

You can read this book in a few hours. You will want to read this book in a few hours. Why? It sucks you in. The fragmented sentences mixed with lyrical Once Upon a Time stories capture how Cadence is trying to remember something horrible that happened a few summers ago. The plot isn't quite as good as Code Name Verity's, but if you're into surprises, you should definitely check it out.

Bonus: The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 

I technically read this book for months over the past year and finished at the start of summer, which is why it's a bonus. It's the type of book you have to read for long periods of time and let the story sink in. I read it during school, so I didn't have as much time to let it sink in. As soon as I did, though, I loved it.

It's about a golem and a jinni (surprise!) who find themselves in New York in 1899. They both find work and try to hide their secrets from the locals, but eventually the two of them meet, and the secrets they tried to hide eventually implode.

To Read: 

  • The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (currently reading)
  • A Falling Star by Chantel Acevedo (http://carolinawrenpress.org/a-falling-star)
  • Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  • A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra

2 comments: