Wednesday, May 15, 2013

London: Pre-Departure

My Bank Account Says This Is Real


Right now, London looks like a hodgepodge of mental pictures built from novels, pictures from the internet and history books, and scenes from movies and TV shows. Google maps and 360-degree online photographs—no matter how breathtaking they are—can only get me so far. So I’m going on an adventure. It's nearly midnight on Wednesday, and according to my countdown app, my first plane takes off in 1 day, 15 hours, 19 minutes, and 30 seconds. Which is crazy.

Part of me feels like I’m planning an imaginary trip. I keep buying things for the time I’ll supposedly spend in the far off, magical, and mysterious land of England, but it just feels like talk. Someone on our London 2013 Facebook group will say, “Who’s interested in going to Paris for a weekend?” and someone else will say, “Ireland, anyone?” I’ll reply, “ME. I’M SO VERY INTERESTED. I mean, um, that’s pretty cool, I guess. Sure, I’m interested. Just let me know.” Does that sound real to you? Because I’m still trying to convince myself that this is happening. I feel like that YouTube sensation “Dan After Dentist,” when he confusedly fumbles around and says, “Is this real life?” I am that child. (Or I will be after traveling for a day and arriving in a foreign country.)

Buying a new camera and exchanging dollars for pounds (which is one of the most depressing things I’ve ever done) felt very, very real, though. My bank account is already building a moat and putting booby traps into place to protect its treasure. I can feel it.

Talking about my goals will ease the pain of spending so much money. So, here are a few of my goals:
  1. Find the Peter Pan statue and pretend to fly
  2. Make pilgrimages to Shakespeare's Globe and the pub where the Inklings (C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc.) met and ask (or beg) their ghosts to teach me their ways
  3. Follow Harry, Ron, and Hermione's footsteps and discover my magical abilities that have obviously remained doormat throughout the years because England has yet to awaken them

Oh, and visit all of the museums, the WWII bunker, the London Eye at sunset, the Roman baths (where I’ll pretend to be either Roman or a Jane Austen character), and all of the other normal London attractions. My list could fill a couple of pages. 

Of course, if I want to get there, I have to pack. What I wouldn't trade for a Mary Poppins bag... Packing is the worst. Then again, I do get to use this lovely luggage accessory that Auburn gave me:
Because simply saying "Happy Travels!" or "War Damn Travels!" isn't good enough.
Maybe staring at it will inspire me to finish packing.

See you in London!


Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment